Former LU soccer star signs professional deal
Jordan Skelton, a former Lander standout men’s soccer player, has signed a professional contract to play with Tormenta FC of USL League One.
Skelton was a two-time All-American and three-time All-Peach Belt Conference honoree that played for the Bearcats from 2015-18. The former Bearcat captain played in 75 matches at Lander, starting 74. He scored 38 points on 17 goals and four assists while anchoring one of the nation’s top defenses.
In his four years at Lander, Skelton helped lead the Bearcats to a 57-13-9 record, four appearances in the Peach Belt Conference Tournament championship, four NCAA Tournament appearances, two league titles and an NCAA Southeast Region championship.
Browns’ Callaway suspended 4 games
CLEVELAND — Browns wide receiver Antonio Callaway has stepped out of bounds again.
The NFL suspended Callaway four games without pay on Friday for an unspecified violation of the league’s policy and program on substance abuse. Callaway will sit out the first four regular-season games.
The 22-year-old can practice and play in preseason games before his suspension begins. He will be eligible to return to the Browns’ active roster on Sept. 30, the day after the team plays in Baltimore.
Callaway started Thursday night’s exhibition opener against Washington because Browns coach Freddie Kitchens rested star receivers Odell Beckham Jr. and Jarvis Landry. He finished with three receptions for 42 yards.
Colts’ Luck still sitting out
INDIANAPOLIS — Indianapolis Colts quarterback Andrew Luck is expected to miss three more practices with a strained left calf.
He hasn’t been on the field since July 28. He also missed the team’s offseason workouts because of the injury.
Coach Frank Reich says although Luck is progressing, he still has pain in the calf and the Colts don’t want to risk aggravating the injury by putting Luck back on the field too soon. Luck has been doing individual work and running the Colts’ walkthrough drills.
Duke WR Bobo out indefinitely
DURHAM, N.C. — Duke receiver Jake Bobo is out indefinitely with a broken clavicle.
Team spokesman Art Chase said Bobo had surgery Friday, a day after he broke his right collarbone during practice.
Bobo had 10 catches for 167 yards and a touchdown last season, and was a projected starter for a Duke team that lost its top four receivers from last season.
Arkansas, Rice renew rivalry
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. — Arkansas will renew an old Southwest Conference rivalry when it hosts Rice in 2021.
Arkansas made the announcement on Friday.
Rice will visit Donald W. Reynolds Razorback Stadium in Fayetteville on Sept. 4, 2021. It will be the first meeting between the schools since 1991, Arkansas’ last year in the Southwest Conference. The Razorbacks won that game 20-0 in Little Rock. The programs haven’t met in Fayetteville since 1986.
Andy Murray to make singles return
MASON, Ohio — Andy Murray says he has accepted a wild-card invitation to make his return to singles competition at the Western & Southern Open next week.
Murray announced the news on his Facebook page Friday.