fire

The American Red Cross is helping two people who were temporarily ousted from their home after a fire sparked in their laundry room, according to officials.

Abbeville County Fire Marshal Tim Williams said the fire seemed to have sparked Wednesday night from an electrical short in the washing machine of a Lonesome Pine Lane residence. The two people living there were home when the fire started, but were outside of the house. A man went to go inside when he noticed the smoke and called for firefighters, Williams said.

The laundry room suffered fire, heat and smoke damage, as did part of the kitchen — Williams said the room wasn’t destroyed, but the house is temporarily unlivable because of the damage.

Firefighters from the Sharon, Monterey and Calhoun Falls fire stations helped respond to the fire, Williams said, with firefighters from the Edgewood station on standby.

Red Cross volunteers are helping the residents with financial assistance for food, clothing, lodging and other essentials, according to a news release from the organization.