fire

An unattended stovetop sparked a fire late Wednesday night that damaged a Greenwood house, according to officials.

Greenwood Fire Department firefighters went Wednesday night to 318B Blyth Road, which was a duplex apartment, a report said. One of the occupants there told firefighters she had food on the stove, but had walked outside and left the food unattended. When she went back inside, she saw thick smoke and the fire on the stove had spread.

Firefighters doused the flames, which extended into the bedroom and a sitting room area that was connected to the kitchen. The report said there was heavy fire and heat damage in that area, and that the neighboring apartment had moderate heat damage.

American Red Cross volunteers are helping two adults who lived there through financial aid, according to a news release.