Mt. Calvary Baptist Church was organized in 1878.
The first two years, the congregation met in a brush arbor, with the Rev. W. Henry Lenard.
The first church was a rectangular frame building, which stood from 1880 to 1904, until it burned.
For four years, the congregation met in a house until a church was built in 1908 and that building was destroyed by fire.
In 1939, there were 122 members and the Rev. Hubert Cunningham of Greenville was the pastor.
A church was built on the same site as it is today.
It was a white wood frame church with a sanctuary and one small room, which was used as the pastor’s study.
In 1973, the church burned again and the congregation met at Hodges Town Hall. In 1974, the present building was built under the leadership of the Rev. Marvin Cunningham.
The Fellowship Hall was added in 1987 and three additional acres was bought in 1990.
Some of the land was purchased from Helen E. Pratt, who was the aunt of former President Jimmy Carter, who visited his aunt four times a year in Abbeville.
Mount Calvary pastors have served long tenures. There have been 14 pastors serving at Mt. Calvary Baptist Church.
Currently, the Rev. Randy Jackson Sr. in pastor.
Sunday School begins at 9:30 a.m. and worship service begins at 10:45 a.m.