Mark Abney
Mark Abney
Two Greenwood men were arrested following a shootout along a wooded trail near S.C. Highway 246 late Monday night.
Mark Abney, 17, of 316 Greenbriar Drive, and Dexter Norman Jr., 20, of 328 Greenbriar Drive, were each charged with attempted murder and possession of a weapon during the commission of a violent crime in connection with the incident.
Officials said the shooting occurred between Stony Point and Coronaca about 10 p.m. Monday in a brush area about 350 feet from an off-road trail near Highway 246. That's where four men gathered, officials said.
Records indicate both suspects in the incident live on the same street in the Willows subdivision near the Greenwood County Airport. Investigators described the two men as friends. According to reports, however, they wounded one another Monday, with both men suffering gunshot wounds to the neck.
Ray Watson, chief investigator for the Greenwood County Sheriff's Office, said one of the suspects was shot in the throat area and under the armpit near his bicep. The other was shot in the back near the base of his neck at the nape. None of the wounds appeared to be life threatening, officials said.
The suspects rode to the wooded scene in the same car along with two other friends, according to a Greenwood County incident report. Three of the men then exited the car to smoke marijuana and drink alcohol when a fight ensued, which led to the shooting, Watson said. Investigators found a blood-stained gin bottle and five .380-caliber shell casings at the scene Tuesday, he noted. Officers also recovered a .22-caliber revolver at Self Regional Medical Center, where one of the suspects sought treatment following the shooting. Officials said the man put the gun down at one of the hospital entrances before entering the facility.
That suspect told officers the three other men left him at the scene after the shots were fired, and a female acquaintance drove him to Self Regional. Both of the other men at the scene during the incident were questioned by investigators, who worked overnight Tuesday to uncover details in the case.
Both suspects were released from Self Regional early Tuesday morning and taken into custody at the Greenwood County Detention Center. Bond for both men was denied Tuesday afternoon. Norman sat before a magistrate judge inside the GCDC wearing an arm brace and bandages on his throat for his bond hearing. The other suspect showed no noticeable signs of his wounds.