Greenwood Police are investigating a shooting incident in which one man was wounded by a gunshot and two other men were arrested.
Jamell Smith, 35, of 139 Dutchman Road, Abbeville, was charged with disorderly conduct in connection with the incident. Farwey Parks, 26, of 1014 New Market St., Greenwood, faces counts of public disorderly conduct and resisting arrest stemming from an encounter at the scene.
Officers responded to The Hut at 1310 E. Cambridge Ave., about 1:45 a.m. Sunday following a report of someone being shot. Officers were greeted by a raucous scene. According to a Greenwood police report:
When officers arrived, a crowd of between 35 to 40 people was gathered in the parking lot near the front door of the club, many of them yelling about someone who had been shot. Officers found the victim, a 40-year-old male, lying on the ground in the middle of the crowd with a gunshot wound to the lower right side of his back.
The victim told officers he was leaving the club walking to the back parking lot when he a group of men begin fighting there, and several pulled out handguns and started shooting. The victim began to run toward the front of the nightclub but was struck by a bullet, and collapsed near the front door.
As officers were trying to control the crowd and interview witnesses, they allegedly spotted Parks fighting with another man. Officers attempted to break up the fight, and the suspect refused to stop and continued encroaching upon the officers. He was arrested after a short struggle. While police were placing the man in a patrol vehicle, Smith reportedly began yelling at officers to release the man. Smith became belligerent and continued to encroach upon officers, who subsequently arrested him as well. Police did not find weapons on either of the suspects.
Meanwhile, as the two suspects were being arrested, EMS arrived to treat and transport the shooting victim to Self Regional Medical Center for his injuries. Officers found 10 empty .40-caliber shell casings in the rear parking lot.
One man approached officers and said he'd been beaten in the head by the shooting suspects, who he said were Saluda men. Two other victims reported that their vehicles had been shot during the melee. Witnesses said they saw at least two people shooting guns.