Man suffers severe burns in backyard fire
Monday, July 14, 2014 12:10 AM
A Greenwood man suffered severe burns early Sunday evening after a fire ignited on the backside of his home.
North West Volunteer Fire Department Battalion Chief Tim Norman said he believed the victim, of 310 Logan Road, was burning debris in his backyard when the fumes from the gas can he was using caught on fire.
The fumes ignited the lower extremities of his body, Norman said. The victim was burned from his torso down. The bottoms of the victim’s feet, however, were not burned.
After NWFD and Greenwood County Sheriff’s Office personnel arrived at the scene, the victim was transported by car to Self Regional Hospital.
Norman said the victim would most likely be stabilized at Self and subsequently transported to the Joseph M. Still Burn Center in Augusta, Georgia.
The victim was conscious when law enforcement and fire personnel arrived, and was the only person at the residence at the time of the fire.
FOR MORE OF THE STORY READ THE INDEX-JOURNAL