Harsh words for de la Howe
Subcommittee chairman not happy with school's failure to comply with directives
Wednesday, February 05, 2014 11:21 AM
COLUMBIA — John de la Howe School board members and administrators faced an exasperated and angry Kenny Bingham on Tuesday morning, while appearing before the state House of Representatives public education and special schools subcommittee.
John de la Howe School board members and administrators confront an angry Chairman Bingham at the state house of representatives public education and special schools subcommittee meeting on Tuesday. (Kate Hruby | Index-Journal)
Index-Journal FOIA Request
The Index-Journal filed a Freedom of Information Act request with the John de la Howe School on Jan. 14 in light of learning about the recent Inspector General's review.
By law, the school has 15 business days to respond to the request, but the newspaper has not received any of the information requested. Acting school president Viola Faust said Tuesday the Index-Journal would receive those records on or before Feb. 11.
Information requested by the Index-Journal:
- Phone records, both incoming and outgoing from the president's office and conference room of the Administrative Building from 6 a.m. to midnight on the following dates: Nov. 21, 2013, Nov. 22, 2013, Dec. 6, 2013, Dec. 18, 2013, Dec. 19, 2013, and Jan. 9, 2014;
- Any and all emails, letters, texts and correspondence regarding the 2013-14 review of the John De La Howe School by the Office of the Inspector General sent or received to/by Thomas Mayer, and all members of the Board of Trustees;
- Leslie Norman's personnel file;
- Leslie Norman's resignation letter;
- Any and all emails, letters, texts and correspondence regarding Leslie Norman's employment at the John De La Howe School sent or received to/by Thomas Mayer, Sharon Dorn and all members of the Board of Trustees;
- The names and dates of employment of any John De La Howe School employee who resigned since Jan. 1, 2003;
- The names and dates of employment of any John De La Howe School employee who has been terminated since Jan. 1, 2003;
- Any and all student incident reports, with names redacted, and any reports of the disciplinary taken thereafter from 2003-14; and
- Enrollment data and per students costs from the 2003-14.
Bingham, chairman of the subcommittee, said he was fed up with the school's failure to comply with the subcommittee's explicit directives during the past three years, even though the school received the funding to do so.
Bingham said the subcommittee's concerns were substantiated by a recent Office of the Inspector General's (OIG) report reviewing the school's management.
The OIG report was based on the school's 2012-13 Annual Accountability Report (AAR) that was primarily written by school president Thomas Mayer.
According to the OIG report, the AAR did not provide any quantitative, empirical data proving the school was fulfilling its mission in a fiscally efficient manner.
FOR MORE OF THE STORY READ THE INDEX-JOURNAL
Inspector General's report on JDLH