Please be advised that Greenwood County is currently under a winter storm watch until Thursday morning.
There is the potential that this storm may be upgraded to a winter storm warning as the front progresses, which could result in accumulations of snow and ice.
With the possibly of widespread or localized power outages, citizens should make immediate preparations:
- Residents also should make provisions for communications. The most reliable communication during power outages are battery-operated radios. Ensure that your batteries are working properly and that you have backup batteries on hand. Land line phones also might be operable.
- Provisions should also be made for pets and large animals. Make sure that animals have a covered area to escape the cold and freezing rain, and that they have ample supplies of food and water.
- If you have special needs, make immediate provisions for medication or equipment that you might require. If possible, generator backup is best for operating medical equipment that requires power.
- As the storm progresses, it is crucial that you stay home unless travel is absolutely necessary.
If you do go outside, please go slowly.
Be cognizant that ice will form on asphalt and concrete and may not be immediately visible. There may also be icy patches on roads and black ice especially on and near bridges.
- The wind chill is expected to dip into the single digits, so dress appropriately.