Lydia Redden passes her dog Chloe to Austin Redden after it survived the fire inside 122 Avondale Road on Friday night. (MADDY JONES | INDEX-JOURNAL)
Lydia Redden passes her dog Chloe to Austin Redden after it survived the fire inside 122 Avondale Road on Friday night. (MADDY JONES | INDEX-JOURNAL)
Huddled against the Friday evening chill, the Redden family waited anxiously. Jim and Lydia Redden's home at 122 Avondale Road caught fire Friday night. A call to Lydia sent the family home from a Greenwood High School softball game. The family's Pomeranian and Chihuahua mix, Chloe, was still home when the back of the house caught fire. 
After the all-clear, firefighters from the city of Greenwood's three fire departments led Lydia into her home. A few minutes later, and Lydia returned, Chloe in her arms. 
Austin Redden, 13, ran to the dog as its tail swished back and forth eagerly; clearly excited but no worse for wear. 
With no one hurt, Chloe safe and only moderate damage to the home's attic, the Reddens count themselves lucky. 


The fire could have been much worse. Edari Moore, 17, and Armand Terrell Davis, 15, were playing basketball at a friend's home nearby when they heard two loud booms and saw flames shoot up and onto the home. 
"We went up and started banging on the door, ringing the doorbell see if anyone was inside," Edari said. "Then we started to move that stuff."
 
MORE IN TODAY'S INDEX-JOURNAL